Are you looking for a tax lawyer near Arlington VA? Without the help of a seasoned tax lawyer, you may feel overwhelmed by IRS and Virginia state tax issues. We represent clients from throughout Northern Virginia and the country in a wide variety of tax cases and work diligently to minimize the financial hardships related to tax audits, collections, and litigation. We are conveniently located just 30 minutes west of downtown Arlington near the I-66 and Fairfax County Parkway interchange.
IRS Audits and Appeals
During an audit, the IRS investigates your financial information and determines whether you paid sufficient taxes. When you receive an audit notice, it’s in your best interest to immediately contact a tax lawyer near Arlington VA. IRS tax audits can quickly become overwhelming and time-intensive. A single mistake can have serious and long-lasting consequences.
We can help you understand why you’re being audited and help you through the investigation process. Importantly, a tax lawyer can handle many audit-related tasks for you — freeing up your time and providing peace of mind.
IRS Collections Cases
If you owe unpaid taxes, you face the significant collection powers of the IRS. Collection actions the IRS can take include:
- Tax Levies: The IRS seizes your property and assets to recover unpaid taxes.
- Tax Liens: The IRS files a legal claim against all your property (including property acquired after the lien is filed).
However, you may be eligible for tax relief. A tax lawyer near Arlington VA can help you avoid and resolve levies and liens through negotiation, appeals, and other procedures. Frequently, we can help you reduce and restructure your tax debt.
IRS Tax Litigation
While we can settle most IRS issues out of court, inevitably, some cases require a court hearing. Depending on the nature of your tax dispute, you may have different litigation options. Your options may include one or more of the following courts:
- Tax Court: The most common court for tax issues. The judges specialize in tax law and use this extensive knowledge to resolve disputes. Unlike the other forums (or court options), you do not have to pay your unpaid and disputed tax bill before requesting a Tax Court hearing.
- District Court: U.S. District Court judges review a wide variety of legal issues (including tax disputes). You can petition the U.S. district court for a refund if you have exhausted your administrative remedies and paid your assessed taxes. Unlike the other tax-related courts, you can request a jury trial in district court.
- Bankruptcy Court: Federal bankruptcy courts can determine the validity of IRS tax bills and liens. Additionally, bankruptcy courts can discharge (or eliminate) certain unpaid taxes.
- Court of Federal Claims: Based in Washington, D.C., the Court of Federal Claims handles a large volume of tax disputes (especially for corporations and companies). If you have paid your assessed taxes, you can petition the court for a refund. There sometimes are strategic benefits to filing with the Court of Federal Claims.
Forum selection is an important step in tax litigation. However, litigation also requires the presentation of evidence, negotiation, and extensive legal knowledge. A tax lawyer can help you craft a comprehensive litigation strategy that meets your needs and goals.
Business and Employment Tax Cases
In addition to the challenges of their day-to-day operations, business owners must comply with a myriad of state and federal tax requirements. We help our clients with their business and employment tax issues, including:
- IRS tax audits and collections cases,
- Employment and payroll tax obligations,
- Tax withholding obligations,
- Tax penalties,
- Officer compensation,
- Employee classification, and
- Virginia tax problems.
If you have tax issues related to your business or employees, a skilled tax lawyer near Arlington VA can help protect your company’s financial well-being and reputation.
Virginia State Tax Issues
In addition to federal tax issues, we assist clients with their state tax issues. Compared to the IRS, the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Department of Taxation is less formal — but aggressively collects unpaid taxes. We use our extensive tax and business experience to build creative solutions for your state and local tax problems.
Contact a Tax Lawyer Near Arlington VA
A tax lawyer near Arlington VA can help you avoid tax liens, levies, and other penalties. Elden Sodowsky, founder and principal of the Sodowsky Law Firm, has over forty years of experience handling complex tax and business issues. Moreover, we provide our clients with the personalized attention and counsel they deserve. Contact us to schedule your confidential consultation.